Radar Algorithms Internship 2018 – 3 months
Aveillant, a Cambridge based Thales company, is offering an exciting summer placement opportunity for 2018 for a high calibre student in a relevant numerical discipline to join the Engineering team to work on algorithm development for their Gamekeeper Holographic Staring Radar. The Gamekeeper 16U system is able to detect, track and classify small Unmanned Air Systems (sUAS) in full 3 dimensions to a range of 5km. With no moving parts, it continuously "floodlights" the entire field of view providing location and velocity of every object detected.
A placement with Aveillant will provide you with an opportunity to apply your knowledge and training to date in a commercial world and help with your future study and career decisions. During the course of your internship you will have the opportunity to contribute to leading edge technologies and undertake many of the following roles:
- Requirements capture
- Collection and collation of radar data from existing and trial systems
- Analysis of the data and the observed phenomena
- Analytical modeling and simulation by application of developed algorithms to the collected data
- Creation, modification and adaptation of radar algorithms to the collected data
- Testing, verification and performance evaluation of existing and new algorithms
Desired technical skills
The position will require a good academic background in a relevant engineering discipline, for example Applied Mathematics, Physics, Electronic Engineering or Computer science.
Ideally you will have completed or be working on degree modules or have equivalent study, training or experience in one or more of the following key technologies;
- Communication theory
- Analogue and digital signal processing
- Pattern recognition
- Computer vision
- Engineering mathematics
- Radar systems
To be successful you will need to demonstrate:
- A desire to deliver a working product, on time
- A history of high performance
- You continuously look to learn and improve
- Solid technical analysis and judgement
- Methodical problem solving abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Very strong numerical abilities
- Understanding of, or interest in “big data” handling
- Prior interest in algorithm design and implementation
- Prior use of Matlab or equivalent
In addition to gaining hands on experience we offer a competitive salary, well defined development tasks within real projects, and mentoring to help you complete the tasks. You will have the opportunity to travel within UK when taking part in our field trials.
We welcome applicants from any discipline that has a strong mathematics content. Placements typically will be for three months duration and can start anytime between May and July.
To apply, please send your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org